Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bigamy

Unfortunately for Tribe fans everywhere, William and Mary's all Jewish Whitewash wasn't able to topple George Mason, but the situation raised an interesting question between Michael and myself.

If W&M won, they would have been about a 14 seed, and would have had a good chance of playing Xavier in the first round. I asked Hanley who he would be rooting for, mainly in jest, and his answer shocked me... he said Xavier without hesitation. When I looked at him like he had just committed adultery, he hesitated, but still said Xavier, so that raises a question.

In a world without divisions, would you root for your alma mater or the school you have rooted for your whole life?

Personally, I think anyone who answers their childhood team should have their diploma revoked, but then again not everyone went to a psycho-athletic, extreme school spirit school like Wabash. I am not saying you can't root for both teams, but if they play, I think you always have to root for your alma mater.

2 comments:

E-on said...

It depends what sport.

If we're talking basketball, I would have to say Centre right now. The Centre men's basketball team (ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation) has had a banner year, while the "resurgent" University of Cincinnati Bearcats just got embarrased by 40 at UCONN.

Hampton, Matthew A said...

I get to root for everyone, because the graduates from my school are the people who sell weed to all the athletes at your schools.

It's nice to have a purpose.