Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sad State of Affairs

What happened to us?
Where did we lose our way?
At what point in our lives did we abandon our principles?
When did we turn from being pure sports fans to needing something more?

I am talking about our fantasy sports leagues. They have become an embarrassment. I am almost ashamed to be the commish. This is the 3rd week in a row that I have played someone with at least 1 player on a bye or injured in the starting lineup. Hopefully I will make it my 3rd winning week to bring my overall record to 3-3, but I feel dirty, unsatisfied, dejected. Why? My fantasy football team is, in the words of Charles Barkley, terrible; and I am in the hunt for the payoffs instead of being woefully in the basement like our beloved Bungles. Everyone should be making fun of Hampton and me for drafting one of the worst fantasy teams in recent memories, but do any of us even know?

Our Fantasy Baseball season was a joke. Dave and I tied for 1st place (somehow they gave the championship to Dave even though I held all the tiebreakers) but I bet he doesn't even know. Because if he did he wouldn't have started Todd Jones during the playoffs since he was on the DL. Even worse, Chris Martin got 3rd narrowly beating Hanley, and they had a combined 3 people on the DL in their starting lineups and Hanley had an empty position for the last 10 weeks of the season.

We used to be about the thrill of the competition
We used to take satisfaction in crushing players like Moe and Tyler Martin since they knew lesss than us (Moe's Tavern is #1, no offense Dad)
We used to have multiple trades every week.
We used to nearly get into fights over the bad trades offered and accepted
we used to hold winter meetings,
we used to hold amazing contempt for people like the Cougars
We used to change our names weekly
we used to care,
we used to be men.

So I implore you, men of TNH, before our once proud Fantasy Football heritage goes the way of our fantasy baseball league we must regain our enthusiasm, our competitiveness, our manhood.

Men we must regain ourselves.

5 comments:

Flip said...

There are currently 10 players in the starting lineups of our league that are either on a bye, out, or questionable for today's games.

Of those players that are questionable, none of them are key players (ie. best player on team at certain position) or backup-less (ie. there is no player on bench that is healthy and of equal quality)

embarrasing.

E-on said...

First of all...I told you so about baseball. It's too hard to keep up with unless it's a weekly lineup.

Second of all...there needs to be at least a little $ on the line. We never follow through with this.

Third of all...we should have a real live draft next year. Where we are all in the same room.

Flip said...

I think everyone is down to throw some cash on these events, but someone needs to be in charge.

A Live draft would be awesome but very impractical

The weekly lineup thing I still think is BS, if that was truly the problem then we wouldn't have so many people with unfilled holes in their lineups every week.

I think the incentive of pride isn't good enough anymore and I think that is a sad state of affairs.

Hampton, Matthew A said...

I just think it's like an obligation now, more than it's fun. Nobody participates in trades, nobody does the switches from week to week, cause we're all so far removed. I think Ian's got a point. If there was some actual winter meetings, and we held the teams over from season to season, and had in-person drafts, I think we'd be more into it. But now, no one cares because it's easy to ignore.

I suggest a $700 billion dollar fantasy football rescue.

E-on said...

I endorse the idea of a keeper league in the future.