Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Seriously guys...

I think Dave should add a small wrinkle to each week's Pick 'em Challenge. Since he obviously has the time and the enthusiasm, I would love to see where we all stand (week-by-week and overall) if there was real money on the line. Choose an amount to bet on each game or pick a constant amount for each week. Say $20 per game. I guess you could choose to bet more or less on each game, but that seems very complicated to keep track of.

I think there are several good reasons to do this, not the least of which being a demonstration of the pure risk one takes when putting down real money. Also it would show how hard it is to dig out of gambling debt.

But, more to the point it would emphasize how much I'm HOUSING you all at this.

Vote YES on Dave wasting more time at work ...I think he's earned it.

4 comments:

Dav said...

Ian, seriously. You never know who may be reading this.

In all sincerity, I dedicate only my lunch break to working on the blogs, especially with how busy we've been recently. Most of the Pickem work is done on Monday Night during the game. All that I do on Tuesday is send out the email.

But.... I think you have a fantastic idea.

Here's the way it will work. It will start fresh, now. You each will be given a fictious account of $10,000. Each week, you must put 50% of your total nut in play on some games. You can bet all 50% on one game, you can spread it out among 10 games.

I'll be your virtual bookie and break your virtual thumbs for lack of virtual payment.

I can also post money lines (ie. you bet on the winner of the game outright, but get adjusted odds) and various MLB, CFB or other action. You can also post to the blog a comment with any bet you find on USA Today.

And I'll do all the work at home, off company time.

Dav said...

http://davschallenge.blogspot.com/2007/10/ians-idea-virtual-bookie.html

Hampton, Matthew A said...

I want you to know that this is the moment you will all look back on as the day it started to go wrong when my body eventually washes ashore just south of Newark.

Anonymous said...

Hampton I seriously just giggled to myself aloud for a consecutive 60 seconds.